aftermath

aftermath: a period of time following a disastrous event; something that results or follows from an event, especially one of an unfortunate nature. 

"He does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth;and none can stay his hand or say to him, 'What have you done?'-- Nebuchadnezzar (Dan. 4:35)
Father, the kind of joy I really need is the joy that is the product of tears . Help me to know how to pray my tears and invest them according to:(1) a realization of grace, (2) the vision of the cross and (3.) assurance of glory. So that my tears will not only give way to joy but will produce joy.

Father, when I feel sorrow and I fear that I'm in for some unstoppable weeping, when my prayers are painful and filled with concerns I cannot understand or control, help me to remember that no matter how long it takes, all prayers, like the Psalms, end in praise. May the knowledge that all prayers end in praise give me freedom  to weep correctly because the God of all grace understands my weeping.

For weeping, sown rightly, produces a harvest of joy-for the people around me

...and for my own heart.


Father, make me happy enough to weep.

Make me happy enough to weep- for joy that is a product of tears sowed correctly is the joy that transforms.

Then I can finally say that my shadow days are over now.

 How To Pray Our Tears: Tim Keller on not wasting our sorrow (click to listen)
"The very presence of such prayer in Scripture is a witness to God’s understanding. He knows how we speak when we are desperate."  Derek Kidner (on Psalm 39:13)


What the Lord expects from us at such seasons is not to abandon ourselves to unreasoning sorrow, but trustingly to look sorrow in the face, to scan its features, to search for the help and hope, which, as surely as God is our Father, must be there. In such trials there can be no comfort for us so long as we stand outside weeping. If only we will take the courage to fix our gaze deliberately upon the stern countenance of grief, and enter unafraid into the darkest recesses of our trouble, we shall find the terror gone, because the Lord has been there before us, and, coming out again, has left the place transfigured, making of it by the grace of his resurrection a house of life, the very gate of heaven.”Geerhardus Vos, Grace andGlory

Comments

  1. That quote from Geerdardus Vos (neat name, BTW) strikes me deeply. Thanks for sharing, Ate!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts