homesick


Here’s to the twilight
here’s to the memories
these are my souvenirs
my mental pictures of everything

I close my eyes and go back in time

I can see you’re smiling, you’re so alive
we were so young, we had no fear
we were so young, we had no idea
that life was just happening
life was just happening

Here’s to your bright eyes

shining like fireflies
these are my souvenirs
the memory of a lifetime...--- Souvenirs, Switchfoot

On February 16, 2013, we buried my dad. He died on the 10th after a short battle with cancer.

The hardest moment was when they were about to close his casket to take him away from the house I grew up in. Forever.
I was flooded with memories.
Surprisingly, the images that flashed were only the good ones.


My first bike ride with him along Manila Bay at night.

Us running early in the morning with my cousin, who at 4 then, should still be sleeping. 

My own copy of Gulliver's Travels.

Him playing John Denver
and the turntable where we played vinyl records over and over.

The soccer ball he gave me when I was 8 years old.

Full Metal Jacket (I was  terrified then but now, I am a fan of war movies).




The table tennis  table he made from scratch.

Our first PBA game on tv.

My first dinuguan experience.

The smell of the kitchen when he cooks.

Him carrying my baby brother and years later, of them taking long walks.

My first ride on "his ship".





My favorite is of me running towards him when he comes home from a long tour at sea expectant that he has some new books for me, hear his latest adventure or simply the joy that I have a dad to turn to that weekend.

I can't believe I will not see my dad's figure when I go visit.
That he will no longer be taking long walks around the village.
Or chatting the neighbors or my friends who come visit.
There will no longer be home cooked meals for me and my brother.
And his voice will no longer be heard.

But he is in a better place now.
And as Mercy Me aptly puts it,
         
        In Christ, there are no goodbyes
        And in Christ, there is no end
       So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have...

But yes, I will be homesick sometimes, and until it's my turn to go home, he will be on my mind....   
            
            when I read a good book,
            when I see a war movie,
            when I play a sport,
            when I watch a basketball game
                or a boxing match,
            when I run
                or  ride a bike,
            when I cook or eat home cooked meals,
            when I am at sea, 
               or looking at the ocean.

So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too.. --Daughters, John Mayer-





Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fathers...
    they are not perfect
    But we love them still,
    Because the Father in heaven
    Is the One who first loved and made us
    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt every word Liw. Great post.

    And I really like Aimee Mann too! Music and travel buddy much! :*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Job and Sweet Tooth

I'll Be Seeing You...

the long fall back to earth