my favorite tales on waiting

“But, someone, please give me—who is born again but still so much in need of being born anew—give me the details of how to live in the waiting cocoon before the forever begins?” Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are
Day after day, my days are alike
as the grinding and sifting of barley and wheat;
and times without number I’ve sighted Odysseus,
man of the manly build,
walking out of gray fog over the sea
from a journey too long to tell about
in a single night.
I am but dreaming when I see him walking with a purpose
this way toward the palace:
don’t break stride through unfinished distance, say I,
in one quick breath,
wishing my words had the wing-beat of geese
at break of day.
I’m upstairs…here, take lovingly in your arms me.
After so long and this much said,
reason strikes me, as light shines on water, that his journey
won’t end until he makes his way into our room,
lies in this tree-trunk bed
set down with the love we both expect.
              Imagining Odysseus, Tino Villanueva, So Spoke Penelope
                  






 “Long ago, men went to sea, and women waited for them, standing on the edge of the water, scanning the horizon for the tiny ship. Now I wait for Henry. He vanishes unwillingly, without warning. I wait for him. Each moment that I wait feels like a year, an eternity. Each moment is as slow and transparent as glass. Through each moment I can see infinite moments lined up, waiting. Why has he gone where I cannot follow?” Clare Anne Abshire  on waiting for a time traveling husband (Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger)












In the wood waits the only person with whom I can be myself. Gale. The sight of him there brings on a smile. Gale says I never smile except in the woodsKatniss in The Hunger Games (Book 1)


“That what I need to survive is not Gale's fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that.” Katniss in Mockingjay (Book 3)



[Jonathan]:  You know, maybe you should give me your phone number. 
Just in case. 
[Sara]: In case of what? 
[Jonathan]: In case of life. 
I just had a really great time and for all we know I wouldn't be able to find you again.
[Sara]: Well, if we're meant to meet again, we'll meet again. It's just not the right time now.
[Jonathan]: Maybe we're supposed to meet on British time and we're five hours too early.   
(Jonathan and Sara, Serendipity [2001])

“I do know that waiting on God requires the willingness to bear uncertainty, to carry within oneself the unanswered question, lifting the heart to God about it whenever it intrudes upon one’s thoughts. Its easy to talk oneself into a decision that has no permanence – easier sometimes than to wait patiently.” Elizabeth Elliot, Passion and Purity


Wait patiently for the Lord.
   Be brave and courageous.

Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.Psalm 27:12, NLT

Comments

Popular Posts