to heal from an (in)curable malady


"This is life's nature: that lives and hearts get broken-those of people we love, 
those of people we'll never meet. 
The world sometimes feels like the waiting room of the emergency ward and that we who are more or less OK for now need to take the tenderest possible care of the more wounded people in the waiting room, until the healer comes. 
You sit with people, you bring them juice and graham crackers. 
And then you went on vacations,
you go off for a while..." 
Traveling Mercies, Anne Lamott




Yeah, sure there maybe those who think they have all the answers, but there's a comfort walking with those who have questions, those who are wrestlers and wanderers and wonder-ers, who find the leaning into the questions lets them live into stronger answers--- Ann Voskamp






Freeze frame. 
Pause.
Rewind.
Repeat. 
Forward. 
Onward. 
Next frame. 
Imprints: all that's left.
Memories. 
Memorized.
Pause. 
Rewind. 
Repeat. 
Frozen frames.


                                     
                                              



“From the complications of loving you 
I think there is no end or return.
No answer, no coming out of it. 
Which is the only way to love, isn't it? 
This isn't a playground, 
this is earth, our heaven, for a while. 
Therefore I have given precedence 
to all my sudden, sullen, dark moods 
that hold you in the center of my world. 
And I say to my body: grow thinner still. 
And I say to my fingers, type me a pretty song. 
And I say to my heart: rave on.”  
Mary Oliver, Thirst 










"I'm pretty sure that it is only by experiencing that ocean of sadness in a naked and immediate way that we come to be healed -which is to say we come to experience life with a real sense of presence and spaciousness and peace."





 "Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, 
and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be.
 I have been bent and broken, 
but - I hope - into a better shape." 
Pip (Great Expectations, Charles Dickens) 




“The best thing for being sad is to learn something.
That is the only thing that never fails. 
You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies,
 you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, 
you may miss your only love. . . . 
There is only one thing for it then—to learn. 
Learn why the world wags and what wags it. 
That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, 
never alienate, 
never be tortured by, 
never fear or distrust, and 
never dream of regretting." 
Merlyn, T. H. White’s “The Once and Future King.”




You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again.
                                                 Psalm 71:20 

"You expected to be sad in the fall. 
Part of you died each year 
when the leaves fell from the trees
 and their branches were bare against the wind
 and the cold, wintery light. 
But you knew there would always be the spring, 
as you knew the river would flow again 
after it was frozen."

Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast 
"I wonder at the goodness of God; 
the generosity of my friends; 
the bounty of my lot. 
 I do not repine.” 
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

Life is a balance of holding on and letting go-Rumi



I know Brave Heart, I know--- your heart may be busted and bruised and a kind of broken but this is the healing secret of what you do with your one broken heart- you give glorious bits of it away, because this is the way you begin to heal. 
*
Because the best answer to the suffering in the world is to take The Broken Way--
*
Dare to be brave---break free from fears...
*
Dare to live vulnerable---break open your heart...
*
Dare to sacrifice and surrender---live broken and given into the greatest abundance.
*
Because with-ness breaks brokenness and shame is a bully and grace is a shield and never be afraid of broken things, because this is how he is remaking everything.

                                                               - The Broken Way, Ann Voskamp-



Comments

Popular Posts